According to your demand, the best electric fireplaces offer the ability to warm your living space. Most of them are incredibly realistic and are versatile as well. Whether you seek a way to warm up a tiny home or another type of small living space or supplement your central heating and air, the best electric fireplaces have excellent performance, innovative and exciting new features, and more.
In this article, we will be reviewing the 10 best electric fireplaces in 2020 that are available on the market with their overall features, pros, and cons, including all the analytical aspects for considering while choosing top-rated electric fireplaces from plenty of options out there in the market.
Best Electric Fireplaces Reviews
As you know, not all electric fireplaces are the same. The saying is often true: “you get what you pay for,” while you can get a reasonably priced fireplace online. Our expert team has broken down the 10 best electric fireplaces to buy in 2020. So let’s continue to the central part, which is a product review.
1. Touchstone Sideline Electric Fireplace
If you are looking for a wall-mounted fireplace that can be mounted quickly right on your wall, like a flat-screen TV or a picture, then you should bet on Touchstone this Sideline Electric Fireplace. During winter, this fireplace can be switched to high and will keep you warm also; it can be set to low to provide enough heat without being too hot.
- Product Dimension: 50.4 x 5.5 x 21.5 inches
- Item Weight: 59 pounds
- Design: For in-wall-installation
- Heating options: Two heat settings high (1,500 W) and low (750 W)
- Realistic flame with five brightness settings
- Multiple color modes
- Faux fire log and crystals
- Manufacturer: Touchstone Home Products, Inc.
- Form Factors: Wall mounted
- Finish Type: Black
- Batteries Required: No
- Shut off timer (built-in): from 30 minutes to 7.5 hours.
- Included components: Logset, Crystals, Mounting Screws, Remote, Mounting Bracket
- An excellent option for your need
- Easy to install
- Much better than you expect
- Great product and company
- The heat options work great
- The glass face is very durable
- Changing between the logs and crystal is super easy
- Makes some noise
Overall an excellent product to buy. It comes with unique and useful features. Just a little downside, it makes it a bit noisy though it is not a big deal.
2. Dimplex Electric Fireplace Insert
Since 1995, Dimplex has been a leader in the electric fireplace industry. From the time they developed with a truly realistic “wood burning” flame effect, which was the first electric fireplace. Today, some of the most realistic electric fireplace inserts and fireplaces on the market are manufactured by Dimplex manufacturers. The Dimplex Electric Fireplace Insert is one of them.
- Product Dimension: 23.25 x 10.75 x 19.75 inches
- Item Weight: 33 pounds
- Assembled Height: 19.75 inches
- Color: Black finish
- 1375-watt electric fireplace insert with copyright flame technology and remote control
- Easy to install into an existing fireplace opening; plugs into a standard family store
- The built-in fan-forced heater distributes heat equally and quietly.
- Produce full and half heat or flame only for 4-season enjoyment.
- With no flame heat or emission
- Licenced LED inner glow logs and pulsating ember technology allow the logs and embers to glow in concert, creating an unmatched realistic fireplace experience.
- Distributes heat evenly and quietly up to 400 square-Feet
- BTU: 5115
- Cord length: 5 feet
- Highly attractive
- Easy to set up
- Practical flame
- Additional heat source
- Perfect for a tight space
- Conventional look
- Tough to install
- A little bit underpowered
After long research, we have found this product very useful, and the features are just up to the mark, so we would recommend you to go for this product.
3. Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove
The Duraflame Infrared Quartz Fireplace Stove Is the ideal addition to any room, mainly in small living rooms, to add heat precisely where it is needed. It is easily portable, convenient, and suitable for use around pets and children.
This Infrared Quartz Fireplace Stove is easy to move wherever it’s needed, and infrared heat helps maintain the natural humidity in the room, for a comfortable heat that doesn’t dry out the air.
- Product Dimension: 13.07 x 24 x 23.4 inches
- Item Weight: 28.6 pounds
- Color: Available in 6 colors black, bronze, cinnamon, cream, French grey, and pistachio.
- Manufacturer: Twin-Star International
- Includes: A remote, 2 AAA batteries required.
- 5,200 BTU infrared heater provides supplemental zone heating for up to 1,000 square feet
- 3D flame effect technology features realistic flames that dance on and behind the logs, including five adjustable color, brightness, and speed settings
- The infrared quartz heat helps to keep up the natural humidity in the air.
- It has a door that opens, beveled glass viewing windows, and durable metal body construction.
- Overheat protection, and the heater will instantly shut off to prevent overheating. Volts: 120. Amps: 12.5
- Watt: 115.
- Wiring: plug-in
- Bulb Type: LED
- Versatile, digital thermostat allows you to decide the temperature of your room.
- Flame effects can be viewed from three sides.
- Fuel bed: logs
- Attractive design
- Small form factor
- Easy to set up
- Spectacular heat that does not dry out the skin
- It will heat your room in minutes
- The top part is too warm to display any item
- A little expensive
The Duraflame Infrared Quartz Fireplace Stove with 3D Flame Effect is an easy to use fireplace heater that is perfect for additional heat for a small room. Just remember not to display anything on the top part.
4. Touchstone Onyx Electric Fireplace
For your bedroom, library, or family room, this Touchstone Onyx Electric Fireplace will serve as a functional piece of decor. Since it has a dual-mode feature, it can be used at any time of the year. The dual-mode feature allows the fireplace to operate with or without heat.
Let’s check out the detailed features, pros, and cons of this product.
- Product Dimension: 50.4 x 5.5 x 21.65 inches
- Item Weight: 46 pounds
- Manufacturer: Touchstone Home Products
- Finish Type: Black
- Frame Color: Available in 4 colors. Black, Ivory, Mirror, Stainless
- Batteries: Not included
- Included: Wireless Remote, Mounting Brackets, Mounting Hardware, Display Crystals & Logset
- DESIGNED FOR ON-WALL MOUNTING
- Features two heat settings (high and low)
- Built-in timer mode to shut off in 30 minutes to 7.5 hours
- Safe and efficient to use
- BTUs: 5,000
- Watts: 1,500
- Room Coverage: 400ft
- Voltage: 110v to 120v
- Amperes: 11 and up
- The outstanding flame effects are adaptable to 5 levels.
- It is incredibly stylish and fashionable.
- Available in 3 finishes: Black, White, and Mirror – matching any décor.
- 1-year warranty from the manufacturer, Touchstone.
- Easy to install
- Easy to read design remote
- Adds an excellent touch to your living space
- Modern and realistic design
- No flame color options available
If you are sure that you are looking for a large wall mounted electric fireplace, this is a perfect choice for you. Creating a vital focal point in any room is a great way to do that. This product comes at a very reasonable price, with the right combination of features.
5. Ameriwood Home Carson Electric Fireplace
The latest, smooth TV and console units with a practical electric fire with dual control can use it with or without heat. It has plenty of storage for DVDs, your WiFi router, and consoles. It solidly builds too, so without any problem, it will hold a large television. In a nutshell, the Ameriwood Home Carson electric fireplace is going to be a great all-round option for your living room.
Now let’s look into the details.
Product Dimension: 18 x 63.1 x 26 inches
Item Weight: 115.9 pounds
Manufacturer: Dorel Home Furnishings
The material used: MDF, Manufactured Wood, Metal.
Finish: Cherry Finish
Screen Type: Metal
Fuel Type: Electric
Recommended Room Size: Medium: 151-400 sq. ft.
Material care instruction: Dust and wipe with a dry cloth, and if needed, a damp cloth may be used sparingly.
Assembly required: No.
Heat Settings: 1
Remote control required: No.
Number of shelves: 4
Batteries required: No.
Country of Origin: USA
- Heat Quickly
- Great for storage
- Realistic Flames
- Beautiful entertainer
- Good deal for the price
- Gives out enough heat to warm up the living room
- The TV stand is sturdy and beautiful
- Precisely what your living room needed
- Requires two-person assembly
- Only one temperature setting
Boost your entertainment space with this beautiful Ameriwood Home Carson Electric Fireplace. One of the best electric fireplaces out there in the market. The best part of this product is it heats quickly and comes with a high storage capacity. The only downside is it requires two people for assembling.
6. Dimplex Compact Electric Stove
With none of the mess, the compact electric stove gives you all the cozy atmosphere of a wood stove. The traditional details, the matt black finish, and the working door make it a copybook addition to any small space.
- Product Dimension: 20 x 23.1 x 11.3 inches
- Item Weight: 35.4 pounds
- Manufacturer: Dimplex
- Material: Metal; glass
- Finish: Black
- Fuel Type: Electric
- Is Dishwasher safe: No
- Batteries required: No.
- Includes: CS33116A Compact Electric Stove
- Electric stove with 3D flame technology used for a realistic-looking fire
- Fan-forced heater distributes 5,115 BTU’s of heat; no venting is required.
- Voltage: 120v
- Heat with thermostat control warms a room area of up to 400 sq. Feet according to need.
- Flame operates both with or without heat and comes with remote control.
- The heater draws 13 Amps when on, any other appliances; lights, TV, etc. plugged in the same circuit in the home can cause a fuse to blow or circuit breaker to trip on what are usually 15 Amp circuits.
- The flames and glowing embers are efficient.
- The flames are beautiful and fun to watch
- Produce a soothing comfort
- It looks like real flames
- Heats very quickly
- Gorgeous effects yet save a lot of money
- Produce great heat
- The remote control makes it very easy to operate
- Cute and effective
- The flame illusion may cause some problem
After reviewing this product, we have found that it is a top-rated electric fireplace with beautiful and captivating features like a life-like flame, realistic details, and easy to install. The remote control makes it easier to operate. And the major positivity about this product is it produces excellent heat. The only flaw that we have found is with the flame illusion. It might cause some problems. Otherwise, it is a top-notch product to buy.
7. Regal Flame Denali Electric Wall Mounted Fireplace
The Regal Flame Denali Electric Wall Mounted Fireplace is no doubt a perfect ambiance for your room. This is one of the best electric fireplaces, and the heater of this product doesn’t require ethanol, gas, chimney, insert space, mantel, stove, or gel cans.
We have given below detailed information about the overall feature of this product. Let’s have a look!
- Product Dimension: 4.59 x 60 x 21.65 inches
- Item Weight: 1 pound
- Manufacturer: Regal Flame
- Form Factor: Wall_mounted
- Batteries Required: No
- Imported from: USA
- The heater requires no ethanol, gas, chimney, mantel, insert space, stove, or gel cans.
- Realistic flame: Its realistic flames (3 Colors) are set in a pile of faux gas logs without the need to run gas lines for gas logs.
- 3 Heat Settings: High, low, and no heat (only flame effect).
- Hassle-free wall-mounted installation.
- BTUs Output: 2560 BTU – 750 Watt, 5200 BTU – 1500 Watt.
- Room Coverage: 400 sq. Ft.
- Fuel Type: Electric – 2.5W per hour.
- Watt: 1,500
- Wall-mounted installation system included
- The power utilization with the flame effect only is 2.5W per hour.
- Great fireplace
- Perfect size for your home
- Looks beautiful and adds beauty to your home
- Easy to install
- Great fireplace at a high price
- It will exceed your expectations
- Works great
- Functional and stylish
- Classy glass wall fireplace
- Bulbs are not replaceable
We believe this is genuinely a top-rated electric fireplace you can give a try. This product is straightforward to install and will exceed your expectations for sure. A fully functional and stylish product that will make your room look more attractive. Just keep in mind that the bulbs are not replaceable.
8. Lifesmart Large Room Infrared Quartz Fireplace
Since no vetting is required, the Lifesmart Fireplace can be installed anywhere. Just imagine the coziness and beauty of a fireplace in your room with no costly installation. To match with your home decoration, there is a beautiful Oak mantel surrounding each fireplace. This is truly an Infrared Heater designed to heat a large room.
- Product Dimension: 28 x 11 x 20 inches
- Item Weight: 40 pounds
- Manufacturer: Lifesmart
- Batteries: 2 AAA batteries required.
- Heating Method: Radiant
- 5,100 BTUs heats up to 1000 sqr ft.
- Quakertown dark oak cabinet and mantel, Child lock safety
- Two levels of the realistic fire glow
- Produces natural, quiet, and efficient infrared heat
- High heating capacity
- Safety features
- Doubles as an end table
- Competitive price
- This fireplace uses up to 1500 watts, which is no more than your essential hairdryer.
- It is extremely portable
- Low maintenance
- Dated design
- Large and heavy
For a smaller room, The LifeSmart Infrared Quartz Fireplace Heater is an ideal product. It can be used as a piece of furniture too as it is solidly built. With its high heating capacity and portability, it has become one of the best rated electric fireplaces. Just the size and weight is something that you should consider while buying.
9. PuraFlame Western Electric Fireplace Insert
The PuraFlame Western Electric Fireplace Insert comes up with well made, sound design, realistic flame effect products, and exceptional service. Reliability and a dedication to quality can always be seen in the product that is created by PuraFlame. This high-end electric fireplace is no exception.
- Product Dimension: 36.02 x 29.13 x 12.4 inches
- Item Weight: 39.7 pounds
- Manufacturer: PuraFlame
- Batteries: 1 Lithium Metal batteries required
- Form Factor: Required
- 3 flame settings with changeable power and brightness can be used with or without heat consistently throughout the whole year
- 100 percent LED technology to save electric bill
- It comes with a glossy outlook with a 3-sided interior brick wall as well as trimmed designed polished front glass, without the problem of cleaning ashes or dust.
- Life-like resin log that is 11 13/16 inches high sitting on the grate above ember bed
- Heat for up to 400 sq. Ft.
- CANNOT be used as the primary heat source
- Remote control provided for smooth operation
- Ideal for spaces up to 400 square feet
- Energy-efficient in using LED flame effect
- This unit is very easy to install and uninstall
- A user manual is included to guide during installation
- Comes equipped with a 1.8-meter power cord for a hassle-free plugging
- Need to push the remote control a few times before the heater response
It can warm up the room very quickly. Very easy to install and comes with a great design. Besides, it uses economic LED technology. This is one of the best heating fireplace inserts you can buy for small to medium-size rooms.
10. Real Flame Crawford Electric Fireplace
The Real Flame Crawford Electric Fireplace is the next generation of top electric fireplaces with a mounting depth of only 9.5. Finished with fluted columns and trimmed for a built-in realistic look.
- Product Dimension: 47.4 x 9.5 x 41.9 inches
- Item Weight: 29.4 pounds
- Construction: Solid Wood and veneered MDF
- Color: White
- Manufacturer: Real Flame
- Material used: Wood.
- Bulb Type: Led
- Assembly Required: Yes
- Fuel Type: Electric
- Batteries required: Yes.
- Includes: mantel, firebox with remote control, screen, blower, anti-topple safety device, adjustable thermostat
- Timer Included: Yes
- Heating Coverage: 1000 Square Feet
- Heated Air Releasing Location: Front, Top
- Power Cord Length: 87 inches
- Voltage: 120
- BTUs: 4, 700 BTUs per hour
- Gorgeous and safe fireplace
- Worth every penny
- A great thin fireplace
- The flame is realistic and nice
- Perfect product for a small area
- Efficiently heat a 300 sq ft room
- Gives off enough warmth on chilly nights
- All pieces will fit together like a puzzle
- Do not overtighten the screws
The classic, slightly understated design in pure white color blends well with most room decors. Perfect size for a basement family room. It also comes with a little instruction manual, which will take less time to install. Just keep in mind, do not overtighten the screws.
Why Choose An Electric Fireplace
Believe it or not, there are situations where using an electric fireplace can be both good or bad. If your home doesn’t have a fireplace, for starters, an electric fireplace is a great idea.
They are perfect for smaller spaces, for example, studios or one-bedroom apartments. Electric fireplaces don’t have any maintenance or upkeep, unlike real fireplaces, and there are limited safety concerns.
If you are trying to heat a large area, an electric fireplace would be a poor decision. Electric fireplaces only heat up to 400 square feet of space on average. This may not be the most efficient way to heat your home if you have a large house.
It may not be the best idea to have an electric fireplace if you live somewhere with exceptionally high electric prices unless you don’t have any issues with high electric bills.
Using an electric fireplace is one of the most cost-efficient ways for most people to heat areas of their homes. Believe it or not, through the chimney or flue, a traditional fireplace can lose up to 80-90% of the heat. You can have 100% of the heat produced by the electric fireplace.
You will also be able to save money on things such as coal or wood. On fuel types such as to heat their home, every winter, people can spend hundreds of dollars. An electric fireplace can heat a room much faster than traditional ones. This will save you time and money as well.
To run any electric fireplace on average will cost around $0.13 per hour to run. Keep in mind, depending on the electric rate; this can vary in your city.
2. Smoke And Fume-Free
The lack of smoke and fumes is another great reason you may want to buy an electric fireplace over a traditional one. You may not want the smell of smoke taking over the entirety of your home, though some people enjoy the smell of a cozy campfire.
When creating a traditional fire in a fireplace, there can be ash dust and smoke. This can quickly dirty your home and also can be bad for your lungs. If you have pets or children, the possibilities are you might want your house as safe as possible. Electric fireplaces do not give off any fumes or smoke thankfully.
There may be a slight smell the first time you use the electric fireplace. This should go away very quickly without harming.
3. No Mess And Less Stress
One of the best things about using an electric fireplace is that there is entirely no mess. The only mess you will ever have after you unpack and install the fireplace is clean up the package that your furnace arrived in. Conventional fireplaces create quite a mess. These can easily get trekked throughout your home; you will also have kindling scraps around the front of your fireplace.
After nearly every use, the previously ashes from burned logs need to be emptied. Besides, there is also the storage space that coal or wood can take up. That can get messy quite quickly if you are storing either of these things inside of your home.
4. Save Money Without Firewood
You will never have to worry about stocking up or buying on firewood with an electric fireplace. As you have read it, this can save you hundreds of dollars a year and keep your home a little cleaner and save your space.
The price of firewood can skyrocket during the winter months. Using an electric fireplace instead will save your time and money, whether you are getting it from someone or a store in town who has their stock.
5. Safety Features
Electric fireplaces are way safer than conventional fireplaces. For many people, this makes them a better choice. There is no risk related to real fuel type, for example, firewood or coal. This will help you and your loved ones safe from dreadful accidents. When stopping or starting a fire on a traditional fireplace, it is straightforward to burn yourself.
Almost every electric fireplace remains cool on the outside. Even though the LED lights do not produce heat, there are glass doors that prevent you from getting near the LED lights. Usually, traditional fireplaces do not have doors to keep you safe. But there are safety features like an automatic timer on some of the best electric fireplaces.
In an automatic timer, you can select a duration in the fireplace, which will automatically cool off and shut down after it has expired. Also, there is an option available for you if you want an electric fireplace to give off heat or not. If you are looking for something aesthetics over practical, this is a great option.
Things To Consider Before Buying Electric Fireplace
There are so many options open for you when it comes to buying an electric fireplace, and you might be wondering where to begin. And that is why we have included this buying guide to get a little more information while buying the best electric fireplace according to your needs.
How much heat a particular electric fireplace will produce mostly depends on its size, cost, and the place where it will be placed. The larger the fireplace, the more space it will occupy and produce more heat than a smaller one accordingly. To ensure that your fireplace fits in the area, it is essential to have an exact measurement of the space you are looking to install your fireplace. The portable one is a perfect match for you if you are looking for a model that allows you to move it from one place to another since it can easily plug into any standard outlet.
Many electric fireplaces are designed keeping the placement area in mind. For example, few are specially designed to fit perfectly into a corner of a wall; on the other hand, most are made to fit into standard sizes for a traditional fireplace. Therefore, location will come in handy when choosing a model that suits best with your needs (look, shape, features, and size).
A mantle will probably be the best fit for you if you want an electric fireplace that will be centered in your living room because you can place pictures or decorative items on it. You would probably want to consider your bedroom or dining room as a sleek model that takes up less space like beautiful and attractive wall mounted fireplaces. Additionally, for anyone who likes an appliance that is a multi-purpose (used as both a heater and an entertainment), a TV stand fireplace would do great for them.
Depending on what you are looking for, you can get one for as low as a few 100 bucks or over 1000 dollars as different electric fireplace models come in various price ranges. The cost is high for some classy wall mount or in-built mantle. For several varieties such as the shape, type, size, and not but least the number of functions and features included for each unit, the cost is determined accordingly.
Suppose you are looking for an electric fireplace with a perfect look and design-wise permanently built into your room, also made of the highest quality materials. In that case, you can not avoid digging deeper into your pockets. But finally, it is worth it.
But you can find models at a lower price if you are looking for something functional but simple enough and will still satisfy you.
4. Ease of use
The beauty of an electric fireplace mostly depends on how easy they are to use. There is no need to find matches, no wood to gather instead just with a flip of a switch; it will produce an instant warmth and ambiance. However, some are much easier to use than others; on the other hand, there are a few significantly easier to install. Before selecting a fireplace for your home, make sure you look at these factors.
Some models are made to sit on the floor, while others can be wall-mounted. Specific models can convert a traditional wood-burning fireplace into electric versions. Consider where it will go with electrical outlets and the room where you are going to put it.
You want to make sure that you select one that perfectly matches your surrounding decor and taste since a fireplace often serves as the primary point in any room. When choosing the best electric fireplace for your home, there are various details you should consider.
We hope this situation happened with you for sure while you walked past an item on display, but the resisting beautiful and eye-catchy design made you go back to take a closer look. When we mention aesthetics, this is what we are trying to talk about. To provide you warmth in the chilly winter and cold night is the primary purpose of an electric fireplace. Here the main question arises, is that all you would want?
Of course not. Every morning no one wants to wake up to a dull-looking electric fireplace. So don’t shop for functionality over style; instead, let the two features complement each other. Look for a model that produces realistic flames, eye-soothing, and creates a pleasant glow.
If you want a mantle, media console, or wall mount fireplace, select the perfect look that mingles exactly with your home decor. As you go about your day to day life, add some beauty to your room and smile.
8. Features & Specifications
Today’s electric fireplace comes with improved ease of use features as well as equipped with a host of features that offer enjoyment and convenience. Before you make a purchase decision, you will want to consider whether these features are available on the units that you are observing.
As the timer allows you to set the duration of working for your fireplace, it is a useful feature. For example, when you wake up in the morning, you could set the timer off the fireplace if you are using it to heat a bedroom.
A very nice feature is a programmable thermostat because it makes sure that the room is always at the temperature that you prefer. A maximum number of fireplaces offer thermostats that can easily be adjusted from mid 60 degrees (F mark) to the middle or high 80s. Without turning the heater on or off, this will continuously allow you to stay comfortable all the time.
You will always want to consider the display type when choosing between an electric fireplace. The newer units come with LED screens; on the other hand, the older versions might use LCD technology. Few units combine LED displays with faux fire logs and crystal beds as well. You have to be concerned that the screen always remains cool to touch, especially if pets or children are nearby when the fireplace is in operation.
* Remote Control
Operating an electric fireplace is a significant consideration. For manual operation, most of them offer a simple on/off switch, but some include a touchscreen. We think most of the electric fireplaces should feature a remote control that will allow you to operate the heater from a safe distance. And this will ensure that you can adjust the blower, change the flame color, can turn the heat up or down, adjust the thermostat’s setting, also turn on the timer without getting out of your seat.
* Fire without Heat
There is something special about the dance of fire. During the spring and summer, the ability to have fun without heat can change your events. Imagine how attractive and enjoyable your springtime dinner party will be, along with the romance of dancing flames to a summer night date, adding the ambiance of natural flames. Look for the electric fireplace that will allow you to turn on the flame effects without having any issue using the heater.
* Multiple Color Options
A significant portion of electric fireplaces offers several effects and flame color options. These vary from tall orange flames to low blue flames. Many models feature a handful of the impact and feature three different colors to help you create the perfect ambiance according to your activity, mood, or setting.
* Overheat Protection
Overheat protection is not much of a usability feature as it is mainly a safety consideration. As your electric fireplace generates heat, there is a good chance of overheating, and that could cause a fire or even damage the fireplace. The temperature might exceed the unit’s safe operating range, so you must select or choose an electric fireplace that features overheat protection because it will turn off automatically before it becomes a safety threat.
* Testing and Ratings
When it comes to safety with an electric fireplace, this is another vital consideration, mainly to ensure that they have been rated and tested by both CSA certification and UL (Underwriters Laboratories).
Types of Electric Fireplace
So far, we have discussed some of the benefits of electric fireplaces. Now it’s time to explore the types available. Each class has unique use cases and will be a better fit for specific homes.
1. Wall Mount Electric Fireplaces
Wall Mount Electric Fireplaces are easy to install. Just build it in for a low-profile integration or hang the unit on a wall. These units feature a small heater typically and plug into a standard 110-volt household outlet. The solid finish will still jump out a few inches when built-in, the reason is for the heating element that will release from either the top or bottom to spread heat.
These units are available in a vast range of sizes, and the additional features are common. You will find options like remote control operation, LED lighting several colors, and media options frequently.
- You can hang straight on the wall; more than a few can also be built-in.
- For enhanced display, the top unit features backlit LED lighting.
- For customer appearances, different fire media options and various color options are available.
- No venting necessary plugs directly into standard 110-volt electrical outlets.
- You can use Wall Mount Electric Fireplaces with or without a heater for around a year.
- Maximum units feature changeable flame intensities with a remote control function.
2. Built-In Electric Fireplaces
For seamless integration, built-in electric fireplaces offer the lowest profile mounting options into your ideal living space, for renovating old spaces or new construction built-in units are great as they are easy to install, which require only 2″ x 4″ framing with increased depth to put up the firebox.
While some of the units will even include a heater that vents through the fireplace’s face, these units plug into a standard 110-volt outlet.
- Specific models with low profile design allow a full flush mount.
- Great for apartments, new construction and condos.
- No vent necessary plugs into a standard 110-volt electrical outlet
- For custom appearances various color options and fire media options are available
- For year-round enjoyment, it can be used with or without heater
- You can control most unit feature variable flame with a remote
3. Electric Fireplace Inserts
Electric fireplace inserts are designed to slide precisely into an existing fireplace opening or space; electronic advertisements provide a low-budget alternative to the traditional wood or gas fireplace. Most of them are equipped with a small heater and plugs into a standard 110-volt outlet.
To fill some of the existing space in your opening, these electric fireplace inserts offer a little more depth than the other electric units. Include or optional trim kits are provided by most of them to provide seamless integration.
- Opening or filling existing masonry to replace the outdated fireplace.
- No venting necessary for plugging into a standard 110-volt electrical outlet.
- For year-round enjoyment, you can use it with or without a heater.
- For custom appearance, different color and fire media options are available.
- Maximum number of units comes with changeable flame intensities with remote control operation
- For seamless integration, many have optional or include trim pieces
4. TV Stand/Mantel Electric Fireplaces
Electric fireplace with standalone mantels is a great option to look for a traditional fireplace unit to provide a classic fireplace look with an attractive surround. These units are accessible for anyone to use with no requirement of installation and a simple 110-volt plug.
When venting a wood or gas fireplace is not an option, these fireplaces are especially suitable for those areas. Without all the fuss, the realistic flame presentation gives the appeal and look of a traditional unit.
- Provides mental appearance and traditional fireplace
- Standalone cabinets are prominent as a focal point or TV stands
- No venting required while plugging into a standard 110-volt electrical outlet
- For custom appearances, various color options and media options are available.
- The maximum number unit features changeable flame intensities with remote control operation.
Important Safety Tips
Though electric fireplaces are much safer than a traditional fireplace, there are still safety tips that should be taken into consideration. Below we have given some of the essential tips and tricks, especially for those who own and operate electric fireplaces.
1. Electrical Outlets
Ensure that the electric fireplace you have chosen can easily be plugged into a nearby electrical outlet. The use of extension cords must be avoided. This creates a fire hazard, which can be avoided easily by having an electrician create a socket near the fireplace or moving it.
When it comes to electrical outlets, there is another thing to note, when the fireplace is not in use, make sure you unplug it. This is compulsory, especially if the fire is plugged in, and you might have children in your home who could accidentally turn the fire on.
One more safety tip is to confirm if the cord of the fireplace is in excellent condition always. According to the fireplace size, such as if you have a more extended fireplace, there are more possibilities of the wire becoming exposed.
3. Avoid Bathrooms
Putting an electric fireplace in the bathroom is a common mistake that people make. As there is a high possibility of an electric fireplace to come in contact with water; as a result, it is a significant safety hazard. One additional tip, as they can tip over and cause an electrical fire, avoid placing vases or beverages on TV stands or mantle.
4. Heated Surroundings
By now, you have read about how the mass number of the electric fireplace remains cool on the outside. Not every fireplace has this though it is a great feature. It is important to avoid getting too close to the exterior part of a fireplace as it might get hot outside while the fireplace is in use.
You run the risk of getting burned if you don’t avoid getting too close. It is best to put a fence or fireguard around the fireplace’s exterior if you have pets or children in the house. Last but not least, be sure that the fence or guard is not made out of plastic or wood.
By pushing hot air through the vents, electric fireplaces work. Some vents take in fresh air from the room. It is vital to ensure that both of these vents do not have anything blocking out the output or input of air.
Drying laundry on electric fireplaces is a great mistake that many people have already made. It can easily block the vents, not only a fire hazard due to clothing material.
Frequently Asked Question
1. Do the electric fireplaces heat a room?
Even though electric fireplaces produce sufficient heat to warm a 400 square feet and up to the room, yet they stay cool to touch. For kids and pets, electric fireplaces are a safe replacement to a traditional fireplace. Automatic overheat protection also minimizes the risk of fires that consequences from the overheating of electronics.
You may also get safety features depending on the electric fireplace you choose, like Safer Sensor™ or Safer Plug®. Safer Plug® is a fire prohibition technology provided by Twin Star Home™. This safety feature automatically shuts off the unit and monitors the temperature of the electric fireplace’s plug if any risky condition arises. Safer Sensor™ similarly prevents overheating too. If an object or person blocks the heat source, it automatically shuts the unit off.
2. Do electric fireplaces use a lot of electricity?
Electric fireplaces use just about 1,500 watts of electricity. When you use them strictly for decorative purposes (which means the flames are turned on but no heat is generated), operational costs range between 0.003 to 3 cents each hour. They use only 9 cents per hour in electricity if they are set so that the heater power on and off, to be exact about 50% usage setting.
However, the cost doubles to 18 cents per hour, if you genuinely set the heat at maximum level and want to keep the room warm. It costs between $50 to $80 a year considering a combination of these settings to use an electric fireplace. Mostly less than the yearly cost for a gas fireplace, with costs ranging annually between $200 and $500 accordingly. Prices vary by variations and geographic regions in electric utility costs.
3. How much does it cost per month to run an electric fireplace?
The cost can vary from $0.003 to $0.03 per hour if you use an electric fireplace just for ambiance. However, the prices will go up to around $0.09 and $0.18 per hour for a medium and maximum setting accordingly if you use a heating unit.
4. Can I leave my electric fireplace on all night?
You can leave your electric fireplace on all night, but it is best if you turn it off when not in use. It is important to observe necessary safety precautions, though it is necessarily not dangerous while using an electric fireplace.
It is best to turn your electric fireplace off when you plan on catching some zzz’s or leave the room for a more extended period, although best rated electric fireplaces do not produce any carbon monoxide fumes.
5. Can you plug an electric fireplace into a regular outlet?
Yes, you can. A maximum number of electric fireplaces can be plugged into a standard 120-volt outlet with no dedicated circuit is required.
6. Do electric fireplaces need to be vented?
No, electric fireplaces do not need to be vented through direct vents, chimneys, or other sources. Because electric fireplaces do not create any emissions like wood or gas fireplace do.
The reason behind having so many choices of fireplaces is that you could find the best electric fireplace for your home. Our buying guide is full of tips and information to help you find and make the most of your new fireplace.
We hope you have gained something new and essential information from our electric fireplace reviews. Please leave a comment below to share your thoughts with us.